Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cobalt

It's sunny again, cold again. I have a lot of dishes to wash, but I have to empty the dish rack first.

The mug is from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It belonged to my mom or my dad, and I appropriated from the cupboard it at some point in high school for a pencil jar, then took it off to college for tea around my junior year. Now Roo likes to point out the 'ishies' on it, the boat, and the octopus.


Roo and I ran a few quick errands this morning - always errands in the mornings now, because she naps from noon-ish to past two, or three, or some days she naps two-ish to past 4. I never know, but she goes down when she's ready and gets up when she's ready, and it works out pretty well. Anyway, the morning errands were to get her a bigger pair of shoes, and then to get some groceries. In the shoe aisles she found some XS rain boots that captivated her interest, so I helped her into them and she clumped around while I searched for shoes in her size. We picked our pair, comfortable, brown, boys' shoes, actually, and then I asked her if she wanted the boots. (My grandpa sent money at Christmas with instructions to buy her a little something, and I thought the boots would be fun to play in and use in the snow/slush now and in the muddy garden in the spring. Fun and useful.) "Roo, do you want the boots?" I asked, gesturing 'want.' "No." So I asked her again. "No," shaking her head. I put the boots back on the shelf and said "bye bye, boots," just to be sure. And Roo calmly said "bye bye," and then we left. But I wonder if this spring I am going to be longing for them, in their pink and purple waterproof glory.

No comments: