Friday, January 13, 2012

The First Artwork of 2012

Yesterday afternoon I finished my little frog watercolor study, enjoying the bright, warm studio while snowflakes fell outside.

It was fun to take pictures of the entire process - something I haven't done before.  It gives you an idea of how the painting evolves in my mind, whether or not this is proper watercolor technique.  And it makes me realize how different my approach is when I'm using different mediums.  With colored pencil I work from area to area, with paint it's layer by layer.

 Turns out I need a finer brush for the smallest of detail work, and also I can see why some artists use white acrylic paint to add the final highlights to their watercolor studies.  In the past I've used colored pencil, but I wanted to see what I could do with just my new paintbox on this one.

Frog Study, watercolor, 9" x 6" 1/12/12
Hope everyone has a good MLK Jr. weekend.  Keep cozy and listen to "I Had A Dream."

2 comments:

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Hana, that painting is lovely! I am so happy and impressed that you are charging back into your artwork. I can't wait to see your other pieces!

tawathie said...

Thanks, Astrid! We'll see how far I can get... I'm struggling a little with motivation this winter, so establishing a rhythm is going to be important. Here's to new adventures in 2012!