Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Remember the Mushrooms?

Back at the beginning of the month I picked up my brushes and started a little watercolor.  And I was really not sure where I was going to take it.  After the excitement of the Chickens, I came back at it with my colored pencils, to see what sort of interesting texture I could add.


And I decided it needed a moth.  So I put one in.  And there, once again, it languished, as I started another drawing.


I felt like I was taking it in all the wrong directions.  I had an idea in my head, and this was not it.  This happens a lot in the creative process.  In fact, I think the most inspiring part of making things is how you keep trying, even when things never quite seem to work out the way you intend them to.


So, in the end I went back to my watercolors and added a few more lines and this is where I am going to let it sit.  Until I decide that I like it after all, or I have another brilliant idea to subject it to.


Maybe it's not so bad, and I've just been staring at it too closely.  But also, ever the artist's conundrum, when is a finished piece done?

No comments: