Monday, February 20, 2012

2.20.2012

Seven years since my dad passed away.  I'm still striving towards the examples he set in patience, compassion, and in greeting life with open arms, an open heart, and a encouraging smile.  Grateful, as always, for his love and lessons in living.
My Valentine to Todd this year, a sketch of our home, 5" x 7" 2/14/12.
It doesn't get any easier, thinking about how Roo and Moo will never wrestle or hike with their Grandpa Jim; that I have to rely on my memories for certain reminders of how to raise them with love and serendipity.  It is impossible to imagine how life would have been different these past nine years if he had never become ill.  It is hard to reconcile his loss with all the dreams I had for my future when I was just starting out as an adult, ten years ago.

So today I will be calling my mom and hugging Roo and Moo an extra couple of times.  I will be reading a few more books, singing a few more songs, keeping myself patient and keeping my voice calm.  Maybe we will go for an unexpected treat, or have an impromptu tea party after baking cookies together.  We will be having spaghetti and garlic bread and chocolate cake for dinner, and playing board games afterwards.  Holding onto the good memories, and sharing all that love.

No comments: