Saturday, May 19, 2012

7:30 AM

Eastern Bluebird pen sketch 4/2012
It's just after 7:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, and smallest small and I are in the kitchen making a batch of cranberry orange scones for us all to devour before we head down to our weekly date with the Farmers Market.  He tips the cups of flour into the bowl and stirs carefully, counts the spoonfuls of baking powder, adds sugar, pours in the cream.  I help guide the mixing spoon as we bring the batter together, counting the turns, careful not to over mix.  I slide the baking sheet into the oven and turn on the light so that he can peer in and watch them rise, golden and brown.

I love spending time like this with him.

Easy, Fast, Yummy Scones
nearly from Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl mix together
2 C flour (white+whole wheat)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 C sugar
then add
1 1/3 C cream (we just used half and half)

Fold together and either plop entire bowl into a greased pie pan or scoop out 6-8 wedges onto a baking sheet.  Bake for 18-20 min.

Additions that we have enjoyed
lemon extract
dried cherries and almond extract
dried cranberries and orange extract

A great start to the weekend to all!

1 comment:

tawathie said...

P.S. These are not sweet scones! They're good with a cup of tea, but if you want something more of a treat, I'd maybe start by increasing the sugar to 1/2 C. You could also brush them with melted butter and top with sugar before baking for a sweet crunchy crust.