Friday, May 22, 2009

Garden Update

Since our garden this year is exclusively from leftover seed packets from 1, 2, and 3 years ago, with nothing started early in flats, we've pretty much been skeptical from the beginning. Todd threw down some spinach and leek seeds back in late March or early April, and we have some scraggly nascent leek shoots from that endeavor. And then I went for an all-out planting extravaganza at the end of April, or maybe it was May Day weekend, but in any case my diligent watering has yielded two strong lines of minuscule mustard greens, a healthy showing of tiny beet greens, and well, a sprinkling of weeds. Onions, carrots, peppers, spinach - no sign of 'em.

ED: I lied: we have tomatoes and basil coming up! And lots of cilantro from the new seeds. And maybe even a pepper!

My great accomplishment is a small zigzag of chickpea plants - all seven seeds I planted are up - and I'm having surprising success with nasturtiums in the big planters out front and scattered in the front border, probably an 80% sprout rate with those seeds. It seems to have helped that I soaked them overnight before planting.

The sweet peas? Out of the 30-ish seeds Roo and I planted, we have two little vines coming up. I'm still waiting...

No comments: