Thursday, February 5, 2009

Yum!

I finally got around to trying out the master recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, and it's pretty spectacular. I've been baking our bread for (6+) years and I've never managed to produce anything like these loaves. Here's the dough resting before baking:

I keep intending to take a picture of the loaf fresh from the oven, but I'm so distracted by eating it that this is the best we've managed. The little heel leftover from dinner that Todd ate for dessert:

And it's not an exaggeration; it took maybe 5 minutes to make the dough, and maybe 1 minute to shape it, and 30 seconds combined to flour the baking sheet, turn on the oven, and pour water in the steam tray.

Perfect crispy crust, delicious soft light interior. I want to try aging the dough more than 2 days to see where the flavor goes, but even the first batch was lovely.

Mad props. Whoo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds lovely and yummy!

Anonymous said...

Hm. Possibly I had commented on the wrong post before? I'm not loving not being able to see the post. Anyway. This sounds very yummy.

tawathie said...

Sorry love. I've fixed that setting now; thanks for letting me know it was misbehaving.